Thursday, August 16, 2007

FAITH OF OUR WHAT???


This reminds me of a conversation I had with J.S. Paluch circa 1987, when I had complained that Faith of Our Fathers hadn't appeared in Seasonal Missalette in over a year. The answer I got was "Oh, the ladies were SCREAMING over that one!" Mind you this was still a couple of years before their green sections included the St. Louis Jesuits' "greatest hits". In recent edition, there is a verse that starts, "Our mothers, too, oppressed and wronged..." HUH???

No, that was from World Library, not OCP, believe it or not. My beef with OCP on this hymn is they forgot the "Our fathers, chained in prisons dark..." verse.

Well, we sang it last Sunday, as did a good number of others. Come on now - you can't keep an good old staple out now, can you?!

Cartoon from the one and only (accept no substitutes) Paul Nichols.
Peace,
BMP

3 comments:

DominiSumus said...

Faith of Our Fathers my my processional hymn last weekend.

Mark said...

I love the song, but why can't we sing the Catholic version, instead of the protestant version?!

Faith of our fathers! Mary's prayers
Shall win our country back to thee;
And through the truth that comes from God
England shall then indeed be free.


of course, the protestant version is better than this one I found in an article at adoremus.com:

World Library/Paluch in the Seasonal Missalette (2002) adds a verse by Mike Hay:

Our mothers, too, oppressed and wronged
Still lived their faith with dignity;
Their brave example gives us strength
To work for justice ceaselessly.

Daniel Muller said...

In my parish, people burst out laughing at Mass the first time that they were surprised by "Faith of our mothers" in Gather Comprehensive, our favorite Methodist hymnal.