Friday, December 9, 2005

OH SO GENERIC!

Happy Holidays!!!

I'm following through on my vow that every time someone wishes me "happy holidays", I now say "thank you, and have a merry CHRISTMAS". You can't get any more generic these days.

If you remember my post about tacky secular overkill at Christmas, and the stations I've already boycotted until after Christmas (and yes, I did say CHRISTMAS, and I'll say it again CHRISTMAS!!!) - well! One station that my wife still listens to BLATANTLY says every few minutes "Happy Holidays from Lite Rock 105." "We play HOLIDAY music 24/7" (like it's something to brag about - if you listen to some of the stuff). No one does CHRISTMAS shopping anymore. They do HOLIDAY shopping. Ever hear the dang commercials??!!

Let's just say this - these people THINK that they're being "politically correct". Now there's an oxymoron these days - "politically correct". How can you be political and correct at the same time these days with the issues at hand? But anyways - if I remember correctly, "holiday" was originally intended to be a short cut to the words "holy day", little does the PCS (politically correct society) realize. However, the word "holiday" has been blatantly substituted in society these days to avoid the word CHRISTMAS, a "holiday" that started (not only literally, but historically) with the birth of one man - Jesus Christ, who is the world's true Redeemer.

Another cool little tidbit - ever notice in the secular world, radio stations, malls, and live carolers go about singing Christmas carols and other Christmas music from Thanksgiving Day (and even a week before that!) until the end of Christmas Day, while in Catholic worship, we sing sacred Christmas carols from Christmas Eve (the Vigil Mass of Christmas) up to the Baptism of the Lord (normally the second Sunday of January)? Of course maybe not on such a large scale on Baptism of the Lord, but I for one did program Joy to the world, the Lord is come last year on that day.

While the secular world and even many churches of many denominations (including Roman Catholic) hold their Christmas concerts, pageants, and even Lessons and Carols, etc., during the season of Advent, a season where we "prepare the way of the Lord", and await the Lord to be born, thus giving us a reason to celebrate by singing carols AT THAT TIME, we at Holy Ghost are holding our Christmas concert DURING the Christmas season.

I read once in a story behind the song The Twelve Days of Christmas (I think the Chipmunks and the Muppets do pretty cute renditions of that song, by the way), that the "12 days of Christmas" are really Christmas Day through January 6, the traditional date of the Epiphany. We could tack on another 7 days to extend to our Lord's Baptism. On the nineteenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me.... (nah, almost as monotonous as Ninety-nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall - LOL).

The Curt Jester has several articles, parodies, and links to others' thereof, relating to this topic.

So, before I go off to my dayjob, I have two words to all readers and their loved ones, even though I'm still a good sixteen days ahead:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

+In Christ,
BMP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our church has their Christmas Concert of Carols at 11 PM before the Midnight Mass. Does this count during the Christmas season?

Brian Michael Page said...

Andrew,
Absolutely. Christmas season actually starts with the Vigil on Christmas Eve.

BMP

Anonymous said...

Lessons and Carols is actually on tape for January 6 at my parish. Thought that was a good time to do it actually. The Episcopal church near campus (UNC Chapel Hill) did their Advent Lessons and Carols last Sunday. I believe they're planning a Solemn Eucharist for Epiphany.

I can sympathize with the Christmas music overkill on commercial radio, hence one of the reasons why I don't listen to commercial radio. I was subjected to it when I went home for Thanksgiving - the Easy Listening station was blaring Christmas Muzak for what seems to be 24/7.

We have a wonderful classical music station in the Triangle, and my dial is permanently set to that. They have a great Sacred Music program on Sundays, and this past Sunday, they played different settings of O Magnum Mysterium.